Friday, August 08, 2008

Ky County Courthouse Tour (1)

After completing The Four Corners Tour and taking a much needed month long rest, I am once again itching to ride. I have used some of the hottest dog days of summer to plan rides for the balance of this year and 2009. Obviously any plan is subject to change.

My tenative motorcycle rides for 2009 include exploring the two largest rivers in the eastern US. The Great River Road (Mississippi River) starting at Lake Itasca, MN and finishing in Venice, LA, and The Ohio River Scenic Byway beginning in Cairo, IL and ending in western PA. These two rides will not be Ironbutt rides and will not have a timetable. I guess both could be described as exploratory or flower-sniffen rides.

I am also seriously considering exploring Canada’s Gaspe Peninsula, Prince Edward Island, The Cabot Trail and Newfoundland, either by car this fall, or as a bike trip sometime in mid-09.

As for the rest of 08;
A more detailed exploration of Kentucky has long been one of my retirement travel goals. I have decided to ride to all 120 county seats and courthouses within the Commonwealth. What better way to see a cross section of Kentucky?

I plan to accomplish this using a series of one day rides combined with a couple of three or four day trips to the eastern portion of the state. Remaining true to my past rides, I will take a photo of my bike in front of each county courthouse. There is no timeline for this project, therefore, I have no idea how long it will take me to complete this goal.

With my plan in mind, I started my Kentucky Courthouse ride today, 08/08/2008.

I thought it would be fitting to start here at home.


(1) McCracken County
Paducah, KY

(2) Ballard County
Wickliffe, KY


(3) Carlisle County
Bardwell, KY
This courthouse suffered a fire in December, 2007 and is in the process of rebuilding.

(4) Hickman County
Clinton, KY

(5) Fulton County
Hickman, KY
You will go a long way to find a more interesting building than the Fulton Co. Court House.



(6) Calloway County
Murray, KY

(7) Graves County
Mayfield, KY



Know the difference between speedboats and sailboats?
It's about the destination with speedboats.
With sailboats its all about the journey...."

No comments:

Post a Comment