Friday, August 25, 2006

Introduction























Photo by killboy.com (Riding the Dragon Tail- Hwy 129 -Deals Gap, NC. May/06)



"WANDERLUST" - Commonly defined as a burning desire to travel and see the world.
I will be retiring in early 2007. Borrowing a line from Mark Twain, "It's time to throw off the bowlines." My primary retirement goal will be to satisfy an overwhelming case of "wanderlust". I have planned numerous solo bike adventures in addition to extensive travel plans with my wife.

I will also be spending considerable time spoiling our long awaited grandson. (Grandson Update) Keaton James Stepp made his debut Dec. 7th. 2006 at 9:13 am, 8lbs 15oz, 20.5 inches long.
I am 59 years old and live in Paducah, KY. After a long absence, I returned to riding a motorcycle four years ago. I quickly progressed through four bikes to the point I am today. It didn't take me long to realize I enjoyed long distance rides. I rode my first Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1,000 in July 06, and had a great time. At this point, I'd like to ride a BB1500 and then reevaluate. At my "advanced" ;^) age I doubt I will ever get into the "extreme" category. I'm also very interested in the Iron Butt National Parks Tour.

This is my first attempt at posting my own blog. I hope to chronicle a trip to Alaska in June of 07. This web page will provide on the road, up-to date pictures, and personal safety information for my family and friends. I will record other motorcycle trips including Iron Butt rides, and National Park stamp hunting adventures. Additionally, I will also use this format to post eclectic tidbits of trivia I find interesting.

Regarding my writing, I claim " bikers license" for style and grammar. No doubt I will blithely switch between past and present tense. I will always "attempt" to correct grammar and spelling, but I won't always succeed. I will also try to provide proper credit and reference links when possible.

This blog is a work in progress with constant updates, so, if interested, check back when you can. Comments and suggestions are important to me and always welcome. Click on the "Post a comment" button at the bottom of any page, and tell me whats on your mind. Naturally I reserve the right to delete anything offensive. I also welcome email at mcb285@gmail.com.

Note: Click any picture to enlarge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have used long-time favorite quotes at the bottom of each page. I hope you enjoy the wisdom in them as I do.





Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the live you've imagined. ~Henry David Thoreau~


Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you traveled. ~Mohammed~

13 comments:

  1. Good start Mike! Keep them coming! Hope to be apart of more of your adventures. Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Mike...We enjoyed the pics...Paul and Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed, Mike. You d'man.

    Joe F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool man...I really enjoyed the pics...Can I link some of your images in my Site and/or in my Blog?

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  5. how many callouses do you have to treat after each prolonged trip? Sounds exciting and interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. how many callouses do you have to treat after each prolonged trip? Sounds exciting and interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. By this point the callouses are beyond treating. My goal is to add to their thickness.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ross,

    You're welcome to copy any picture and host it with your own server.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike,
    Thanks for the new link to this site. Awesome!

    Joe F

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike

    It's nothing less than what I would have expected of you. Great Job! Go for the spoiling. You're due! :)

    DKH

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mike,
    Checking in again. The site is expanding rapidly. You're doing a great job.

    Joe F

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike, I have enjoyed this blog and the pictures from some great rides. I first saw your posting in the MTF, keep the great stories coming, wish I could go with you

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came across your site on day three of your '07 Alaska trip. Ever since reading Pashnit's account of his Alaska trip http://www.pashnit.com/30days/30-2.htm I've been looking forward to the time I can do it; alas, I'm still quite employed. I do look forward to taking the trip vicariously with you. Thanks. You're off to a good start. Tom

    ReplyDelete