Monday, September 04, 2006

The Rocky Mountain Continental Divide Ride (4)

The Rocky Mountain Continental Divide Ride lived up to its tough and challenging reputation, and then some. We dropped all the bikes with, luckily, very little damage. More importantly, we also avoided any serious physical injuries. Along the way, we all gained a whole new respect for riding in deep sand.

After more than 500 miles riding goat paths, sand and gravel, we had more than enough off-road riding. Joe Freeland, Mike Alewine and I decided to head farther north to see more of the scenic paved roads of Colorado.



Near Pagosa Springs, CO


A Biker's Dream!
Joe and I took the Durango to Silverton steam engine train ride.



Awesome scenery!


Two weeks of stubble!


Colorado's Million Dollar Highway

Pressed for time, Joe and I reluctantly left Mike Alewine in Salida, CO. Mike traveled north and west into Utah, while Joe and I set out homeward, southeast across southern Colorado.
The beautiful Beckwith Ranch in southeast Colorado.
A monstrous thunderstorm chased Joe and I across southeast CO and northeast NM. At one point near Clayton, NM, we stopped to take a picture of an old barn directly in the path of the approaching thunderstorm. Little did we know that I would capture a developing tornado directly behind it. Trust me when I tell you we did not linger!


Just west of Sayre, OK we crossed into OK on two lanes, but soon jumped on I-40 and "slabbed" it east to Oklahoma City. There Joe and I parted, as Joe headed south to Dallas, and I continued eastward, on through AR, MO, TN and home.

A special thanks goes to Mike Alewine for the use of some of his photos.

Total Round Trip Miles - 3981

14 Days.



What does not kill me makes me stronger.
~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe~



"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with."
~Samuel Clemens a.k.a Mark Twain~

3 comments:

  1. All of the pictures look very nice. Very beautiful landscapes there. Tornado - I wouldn't wait around for it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pics are terrific...makes you want to be there...great to see you following that dream...SugarK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great time was had by all. I am among many who are envious of your adventure. Ride Safe.

    ReplyDelete