Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Florida - Stamp Hunting / Fishing (2)

Fort Matanzas National Monument is located at the southern tip of Anastasia Island, about 20 miles north of Daytona Beach. It was my first park today but did not open until 9:00 am. This left me with a great opportunity to explore Hwy 1 down Flagler and Cresent Beach.
The surfers were out bright and early. It occurred to me while I was standing here watching the surfers that it sure was a long way to the Yukon River... LOL
Castillo de San Marcos National Monument is an original Spanish Fort located in historic down town St. Augustine. I find a lot to like about St. Augustine, unlike most of Florida.

The fort commands a view of the inter-coastal waterway. It is easy to see why it would have been so strategically important.
As I was leaving Florida via I-75, I collected the Florida welcome sign for my collection.
It was on to the Jimmy Carter National Historic Site in Plains, GA. Plains is the very definition of rural Georgia.
Andersonville National Historic Site is located near Plains and is the home of the National Prisoner of War Museum, as well as a large civil war cemetery.

Many northern states have placed memorials at Andersonville honoring their fallen civil war POW soliders. This is Wisconsin's monument.
Andersonville is a quiet and peaceful place.


After a beautiful late afternoon ride through the Georgia Piny Woods, I have stopped for the evening in Colombus, GA., near the Alabama border, about forty miles from my next park in Tuskeegee, AL.

"Every exit is an entry somewhere else" ~Unknown~

No comments:

Post a Comment