Tuesday, October 21, 2008

KY County Courthouse Tour (7)

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Kentucky Courthouse Tour (SPOT)

I left Harlan, KY around 7:40 am in a moderate fog with the temperture at 30 degrees. A light frost covered everything. Heated clothing saved a cold but otherwise beautiful fall day.

I slowly climbed up a mountain just outside of Harlan, breaking through the fog halfway up. Soon I topped the summit where I found a breathtaking view of the surrounding fog filled valley. Along the way I visited Kingdom Come State Park and Pine Mountain State Park. Both beautiful by any measure!

People are constantly asking me why I ride long distances and I always tell them it is the journey. It's not about any single destination. It's the unique and beautiful sights you see along the way. The two pictures above illustrate my point perfectly!

I decended the mountain to find Whitesburg, KY hidden below the thick blanket of fog.

(57) Letcher County
Whitesburg, KY

The rest of my day was spent riding through the scenic Applachian Mountains visiting twelve southeastern KY counties, each beautiful in it's own way.

(58) Pike County
Pikesville, KY

Pike County is the eastern most county and borders Virginia.


(59) Floyd County
Prestonburg, KY

(60) Magoffin County
Salyersville, KY

(61) Johnson County
Paintsville, KY

(62) Lawrence County
Louisa, KY

(63) Martin County
Inez, KY

Martin County borders West Virginia. Again, many of these counties are building fancy new "Justice Centers." Anytime I have a choice, I much prefer to take a picture of the "old courthouse".

(64) Knott County
Hindman, KY

(65) Perry County
Hazard, KY

(66) Leslie County
Hyden, KY

(67) Clay County
Manchester, KY

I ran into issues with the sun at almost every turn. It was always directly over the courthouses making it extremely hard to take a decent photo. This explains some of the odd positions the pictures were taken from.

(68) Laurel County
London, KY

(69) Rockcastle County
Mt. Vernon, KY

I ended a great fall riding day in Mt. Vernon, KY with a not-so fancy dinner at the local Arbys and an inexpensive room at the Econo Lodge.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain~
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile. ~Author Unknown~

No comments:

Post a Comment