Sunday, June 24, 2007

AK Trip - Day Nine - Sunday, June 24th,

Dawson Creek, BC to Fort Nelson, BC

Today we paid the piper for all the previous good weather we have enjoyed. Ted says "Into every ride a little rain must fall." I guess he's right.

We left Dawson Creek early with Fort Nelson as the goal. The temps were in the low 40’s and the sky loomed dark and heavy to the north. About a hundred miles out of Dawson Creek the drizzle started and continued for the next 130 miles. The temps never rose above the 40’s while it rained. About 60 miles out of Fort Nelson the rain let up and the temps rose to the 50’s. Nothing feels better than riding out of a cold rain into the warming sunshine.

Taking a break on the Alaska Highway.
Don't look for anything other than rain and trees.... I remain in awe at the vastness of the far north.


We also encountered construction near Pink Mountain, just before the rain started, which led to an 8 mile gravel ride. I find it interesting how they simply remove all the pavement for miles before they start repaving. It was mostly light gravel and not much of a problem riding.

People have constantly asked me how do you attempt a ride like the one we are doing. I have always liked the comparison of eating an elephant. You do it one bite at a time. Well, if that's true, today's bite was wet and tough..... LOL

On another note; I tipped the V Strom over in the motel parking lot this morning. Since Kevin P. and I lowered the bike it appears the side stand is a bit tall and the bike has a real tendency to fall over to the right. I was lucky, no one was hurt and all it did was crack the right blinker. That blinker was damaged from a previous ride anyway so a little duct tape fixed the problem until I return. I am glad I didn't replace it before I left.

It looks like I may need to redo the tape tomorrow.

Tomorrow we are off to Watson Lake and the sign post forest. Hopefully we will enjoy some fair skies for the ride. Right now that's doubtful... It's raining outside as I type this.

For Mike J: We both appreciate and enjoy some of the short days. The only way we could continue a ride of this magnatude is with some built in easy days.

Photo's were scarce today due to the rain and the lack of different scenery.

"It is not down on any map. True places never are."
~Herman Melville~

4 comments:

  1. And I was afraid 280 Miles today would be to short for you. But in the cold and rain I bet it was enough. Tell Ted I think tomorrow will be an easy day.

    Mikej

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bike boo-boo! LOL
    Well, ya know what they say.. "it's not a party until something gets broken!"

    Let the good times roll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it's time to shorten the kickstand! A little rain makes you appreciate the nice days, I bet/hope tomorrow is better! Sounds like you could have left the mesh jacket at home.....
    Ride safe,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete