Tuesday, June 19, 2007

AK Trip - Day Four - Tuesday, June 19th,

We left Riverton, WY at 6:15 am riding in a chilly 45-degree temp. The temp stayed cool until mid-afternoon and then climbed to the upper seventies. Our route led us in a steady climb up 9,000 ft into the breathtaking Teton Mountains. Nothing beats the view from the seat of a motorcycle! I was also amazed that the ride smelled like you were riding through a Christmas tree. I have ridden in pine trees many times before but never with quiet that same smell.

While climbing between 8500 and 9000 ft we came across a five-mile section where the pavement ends. The highway dept. had simply removed the road and were routing traffic onto wet dirt, mud and some gravel. That made for an interesting ride on Ted’s Wing. Fortunately the V Strom was right at home.

One other interesting thing happened today. While riding up one of the mountains I had a small bird fly up off the side of the road and hit the stem of my left mirror. The bird simply exploded all over my cb radio and my left jacket sleeve. I doubt it ever knew what happened. Oddly, that's the second time I have had a bird commit suicide in a similar manner.







Hwy 26 (West Yellowstone Hwy) winds through the Teton Mountains and directly into the southern entrance to Yellowstone National Park. We entered there and went straight to Old Faithful where we found droves of tourists. We collected our NP stamp and left while over 500 people lined Old Faithful waiting for it to erupt. Not my idea of fun!

We followed The Grand Loop up the western side of Yellowstone, visiting Mammoth Hot Springs and exiting at Gardiner, MT. Tonight we’re staying in Belgrade, MT a suburb of Bozeman, MT.



As of today we have ridden 1805 fun filled miles. Tomorrow we ride to Glacier NP and the next day we cross into Canada. I continue to find excellent Wi FI coverage on this trip. I'm sure there will be days when I don't have Internet access or we simply arrive at the motel too late.
Ted and I appreciate all the comments and well wishes we are receiving. I hope you will continue.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
~Confucius~

10 comments:

  1. Hey there Brother. You are seeing things I'll only see in my dreams. Have a ball and I hope you meet all your dreams.
    I can always live vicariously through your pictures and writings.
    sis

    OH an be safe...mom says so LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy the pictures and the excellent coverage of your trip. Be safe and have fun.

    Johnnie Randles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your trip with us! I know that there might be days that it just doesn't make sense to keep us updated, but, we certainly do enjoy it! Ted, maybe you should stop and put some TKC 80's on that Wing!
    Ride safe,
    Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike enjoy following your trip via your journal. Have fun all along the way. Look forward to the next entry.
    Mike Tompkins

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're all reading faithfully! I look forward to it everyday! Who knew my dad would turn into a blogger! Excellent! Keaton and I talk about you every day, where you are and what you're doing!

    That water picture is gorgeous! Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like everything is going good. I bet you wondered why I was planning to double back in Yellowstone. It was to go through Hadyen Vally that might have more animals. (Rhonda likes animals) I met to tell you that. You went the best way. It's hard to think ahead on comments. Wednesday should really be an easy day.

    MikeJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just looked at Glacier Web site. I see Going to the Sun Hwy is not open all the way. I think it goes far enough to make it worth the ride. Once you start up from the west side you really see the same valley most of the time it is great if you haven't done it already today do it in the morning.

    The east side is not worth going out of the way.

    Bear Grass looks like giant Qtips.

    What makes the water in the lakes so blue green?
    MikeJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike I read you everyday and enjoy the pictures. Keep up the good work and stay safe.
    Don U

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who woulda thought!

    It's like reading a book. Can't wait for the next chapter. Sooo exciting! dkpath

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pictures are awesome, keep'em coming. Glad the trip is going well.

    Kevin@FDR

    ReplyDelete