Saturday, June 23, 2007

AK Trip - Day Eight - Saturday, June 23nd,

Hinton, Alberta to Dawson Creek, British Colombia

As I am sure you know by now if you have followed our adventure, we have had some Internet Wi Fi problems the past couple of days, along with no cell service. I had expected this but it's still frustrating when it happens.

Tonight we have made it to mile marker one of the Alaska Highway (ALCAN) in Dawson Creek, BC, Canada. As you can see above we have taken the mandatory picture under the sign and we are ready to start up the highway first thing tomorrow. As of today we have ridden 3200 miles and it is 1488 miles to Fairbanks, AK from here.

We left Hinton, Alberta this morning and rode one of the loneliest roads I have ever seen. Not a house or person to be seen for well over a hundred miles. We finally came to a small burg and saw a sign that said the next services was 184 KM. Jeeze, guess we better gas up…. LOL

We saw deer galore, along with one cow moose the size of a horse. We have also seen two coyotes and one bald eagle who treated us to a fly by at 60 mph. The temps started in the low 40's and never got out of the 50's. The rising wind made it seem colder.

All is well and we continue to get along well. The trip is right on schedule and we both to look forward to Alaska.


"Toto, I have the feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
~Judy Garland~

5 comments:

  1. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous! dkp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I,m sure glad you are back on line. Jasper is as far as I,ve been. I know the Icefields Hwy is great. I bet lonely roads are going to be the order of the day for a while.

    Mikej

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh brother, where art thou?

    srjrb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited to see your entries! While I knew that there would be days when you wouldn't have internet access, I still was ready to call Mom and check on you. LOL Glad to see all is well and you're having gorgeous scenery. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great report! Have you found Ted anymore gravel roads? The pictures make me wish I was there, retirement must be great! By the way, I have planned a timelime for a 50cc, you're invited! Thanks for letting us tag along.
    Ride safe,
    Kevin.

    ReplyDelete