Monday, July 23, 2007

AK Trip - Day Thirty Eight - Monday, July 23rd,

Delta, UT to Grand Junction, CO


We quickly left behind the worst motel of the trip, stopping for a biscuit and coffee on the way out of town. In this part of Utah you never know how far the next services will be.

The goals today included crossing Utah, with stamp stops at Arches National Park and Canyonland National Park. Our trip time is running short. We were simply not able to devote the time to these parks that they deserve. Trust me when I tell you I "will" be back.I-70 carving through the Utah mountains.




I found Utah’s scenery second to none and like no other. In many places the landscape remind me of what I think riding across the moon might be like. In other places the sheer, stark beauty of the mountains and colorful rock formations take your breath away. Utah is a unique place of beauty not to be missed.
Four hundred miles later we are spending the night in Grand Junction, CO. near The Colorado National Monument. That’s the first thing on our list tomorrow. After that, we head southeast toward Kansas.

At present our best guess for arriving home is Friday or Saturday. We will be riding through more and more small towns from here on which will slow our pace a great deal.

I plan to post a list of National Parks we have visited on this blog after the trip is concluded.

"Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey." -- Fitzhugh Mullan

6 comments:

  1. It's not that I don't believe you, but it must be really TERRIFIC to outshine the redwoods. I have to see it for myself. Sounds like you are making good time. Hope you have better luck with upcoming motels!! Have fun. Marg

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are five National Parks in southern Utah. We've been to them a few time. Everytime they are unblievable. I'll tell you about the best rides when you get back. You should be about 1200 miles. Colorado National Monument will slow you down tomorrow. All of the ride in Colorado will be good tomorrow enjoy it before you hit the plains.

    MikeJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geeze, you guys do not let any grass grow under your feet. I can't belive you are all the way into Utah already. What amazing landscape. Nothing like I have seen before. I must get my hubby to take me there for a tour. Sounds like you are close to the home stretch. Take it easy!

    {{big hugs}}
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worst motel to date. Meaning... no room service, right? ha! Better be glad you didn't take the more high maintenance women in your life. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really been enjoying your adventure, it's the stuff that dreams are made of for us poor working folks! LOL

    The pics are wonderful, there is so much to see in this country. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been to the redwoods with ted. get him to tell you about the big one 360 plus feet tall and 19.5 feet across. The Oregan coast line is breath taking. Ill bet ted picked out the motel.

    ReplyDelete